I know, I know. I just haven’t kept up with my blog, and honestly, I’ve really missed writing it.
The problem is (this time, anyway) that I over-extended myself in the “helping out at school ” department this past spring.
When I said I’d help with the costumes for the Bug’s 8th grade musical, “Brigadoon,” I didn’t realize that I was offering to be responsible for the costumes. You see, in this case, helping meant that not only would I have to determine the look of the costumes with her teacher (who was also directing) based on the 1955 Lerner and Lowe movie production starring Gene Kelly (be still my heart) and Cyd Charisse, but that I was going to have to sew all those costumes as well. In 8 weeks. Well, actually in 7 weeks because there was a school break in there and I’d already made plans to be out of town that week.
So in just 7 weeks, I had to come up with 12 kilts, ghillie shirts, and tam-o-shanters, as well as 14 skirts with overskirts, puffy-sleeved blouses, and bodices, plus 20-some tartan sashes. And this doesn’t include organizing the costumes the kids were supposed put together and bring in for the “1950s NYC bar scene.” And there were 2 different casts so that more kids would have a chance to be a lead. Unfortunately, the kids were all different sizes, so there was little costume sharing. Ah well. So complicated, it required a spread sheet to keep it all straight.
Luckily I had a couple of dear friends help with the cutting, some sewing, and finishing, as well an unbelievable superhero-like rescue from my wonderful, gorgeous, and amazing BFF Meggie and her darling pal Wendy, who graciously lent me their precious bodices so I didn’t have to sew any of those suckers.
And thanks to the internet, I found an amazing website that sold remarkable authentic kilts and ghillie shirts; that truly saved my tookas. (sorry, can’t spell Yiddish, but I think you get my drift.)
I don’t mean to complain, mind you. I was happy to do it for the kids. But it was overwhelming. At least 7 weeks non-stop sewing, and not a bit of knitting during that entire time. Sigh. At least the kids were thrilled with the results.
Here are just a couple of pictures:
And by the way, the Bug had the lead role of “Fiona” in the first cast.
If I can figure out how to do it, I might even download a video of one of the numbers. Sorry about the sound; the kids weren’t miked. Don’t get me started.
So, now with all that excitement over, I’m torn over what creative thingy to work on now: writing, knitting, yarn-dyeing, weaving, spinning, even a little more sewing.
I got so excited to have all these options, that with an eye for starting with a clean slate, over the last couple of weeks, I finished a couple of knitting projects. And then earlier today, I wound up a bunch of yummy Madelintosh yarn and started swatching for 2, yes 2, new cardigans: Cinnamon Girl, and Darling Emma. And I’m still working on my second pair of socks under my “6 pair in a year” personal challenge.
Oh right…I also got a wild hair to recreate my all-time favorite A-line pullover, which I’ve actually been considering for awhile. Finally got up the courage to figure out what I needed to do. So, I think I’ll stay busy for a while. But that’s just how I like it, I guess.
Now I have to knit fast. Very very fast.
Edited to add:
After posting this, I finally had a chance to catch up on reading a few of my fav blogs, including Yarn Harlot. LOL. She has a post from a few days ago titled “Torn” What a laugh, since I started working on this blog a week ago before I had time to finish it and post.